View Single Post
Old July 19, 2018   #14
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
It has been essentially over for me for about 2 weeks. I lost 15 large tomatoes one night 2-3 varieties. I was about to take a vacation, so I picked everything that had a chance of ripening on the counter and let the greedy critter(s) have the smallest ones. They missed 3 or 4 which are still out there, hardly growing. They are 1/3 the size they should be and will have tough, thick skins. Been trying to decide if I'm going go pull and start over for fall, or cut them all back. Too hot to do either right now with 105-108 highs and even lows just in the low 80s. Yuck!

It's 107 at my house right now. I do my gardening early in the morning and late in the evening as the sun goes down. It's about 80 in the morning and low 90's in the late evening. I still have a few small cherry tomatoes scattered throughout the garden. I noticed a few of them on the ground this morning. The exposed half of each tomato was eaten. The side against the ground would be undamaged. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on until I noticed a lot of birds in my garden. I figured out the birds are knocking the tomatoes to the ground and then pecking them to get the moisture they contain. I will put a couple of water trays out for them this evening.

Last edited by DonDuck; July 19, 2018 at 05:05 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote