View Single Post
Old July 20, 2018   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Most of my older plants set out in March are suffering from spider mites but many are still putting out significant amounts of fruit. The plants I set out in mid May are just now putting out ripe fruit.

The older plants that are still putting out decent fruit are: Crynkovik Yugoslav, Couilles de Tareau, Aunt Ginny's Purple, JD's Special C Tex, Red Barn, Barlow Jap, Donskoi, Delicious, 1884, Neves Azorean Red, Limbaugh's Legacy, and most surprisingly Brandywine Sudduth's.

From the May plants the ones that are doing the best are Gary O" Sena, Giant Belgium, Arkansas Traveler, Spudakee, Neves Azorean Red, and of course Pruden's Purple. I set out a single Red Brandywine from TGS in early June and it has been producing well though fighting EB and spider mites. I also set out a single Arkansas Traveler in mid June and it is loaded with fruit despite the heat but has not had one ripen yet.

I set out a small bed of tomatoes this past Saturday and finally got some Indian Stripe PL plants set out. If the spider mites or some disease don't get them I expect they will be producing ripe fruit before the end of August followed by some production from Arkansas Traveler in September and October. The rest of the varieties I am not so sure about.

Despite the heat and spider mite infestation this has been a very productive July. Usually during the blistering heat this time of the year I am just getting one or two fruits a day if that many but the past two weeks I have picked a surprisingly good variety of ripened fruits with more large ones than normal for mid summer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote