View Single Post
Old February 29, 2016   #61
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Look at the release rate on bat guano:

Bat Guano – High N

Bat guano (feces) harvested from caves is powdered. It can be applied directly to the soil or made into a tea and applied as a foliar spray or injected into an irrigation system.

Bat Guano – High N

Typical NPK analysis 10-3-1
Release time 4+ months
Pros Stimulates soil microbes
Cons Cost
Application Till in 5 pounds per 100 square feet or as a tea at 3 teaspoons per gallon of water

Not saying its not good, but consider the time to release.
I hear you, long time before they're fully available. There is however, a discernible boost of whatever was soluble being used up. I figure with the right amount of mycofusion and mycogrow and roots and compost teas in there it'll hasten that release time. I ran out of guanos a while ago and haven't looked back, and don't plan to purchase them again. The risk of histo is real, not some theoretical possibility, so no more. I used them as teas mostly.

The organic inputs I settled on, as in best bang for the buck are Alfalfa Meal and Crab Meal. I really like those two. There's also a soil amendment I use "as-is" for my aerated teas that's vegetable compost, worm castings, minerals and kelp. All you do is add a sugar source and presto. Do it about once a week both drench and foliar and so far so good.

There is a happy medium, you just add your amendments with the breakdown times in mind, some are faster than others. What's great about containers is you can fix whatever is wrong relatively easy. Soil, that's another story entirely.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote