View Single Post
Old February 29, 2016   #68
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I hear you, long time before they're fully available. There is however, a discernible boost of whatever was soluble being used up. I figure with the right amount of mycofusion and mycogrow and roots and compost teas in there it'll hasten that release time. I ran out of guanos a while ago and haven't looked back, and don't plan to purchase them again. The risk of histo is real, not some theoretical possibility, so no more. I used them as teas mostly.

The organic inputs I settled on, as in best bang for the buck are Alfalfa Meal and Crab Meal. I really like those two. There's also a soil amendment I use "as-is" for my aerated teas that's vegetable compost, worm castings, minerals and kelp. All you do is add a sugar source and presto. Do it about once a week both drench and foliar and so far so good.

There is a happy medium, you just add your amendments with the breakdown times in mind, some are faster than others. What's great about containers is you can fix whatever is wrong relatively easy. Soil, that's another story entirely.
Now that I've made it this far in responding to people, I've agreed and repeated much of what you have said here.

I love crab/shrimp/crustacean meals because they add chitin to the soil. I love alfalfa because it stimulates bacterial reproduction and it contains triacontanol.

I don't use bat guanos except for making teas when I need to doctor something up. They are generally marketed to specific industries which results in them being over-priced. I would not however, grow without seabird guano. A super sack of it is only about $1,500 and a little goes a long way. Even in field application. There is a richness of flavor that is gained with it's usage that is completely absent otherwise. I honestly consider it a must have.
TheUrbanFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote