View Single Post
Old February 18, 2016   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Dan, in your first post you said something like potential to be larger and I had a picture in my mind of an elderly man holding a de colgar multiflora with HUGE fruits. and it's taken me and hour to find it,so ya'll better enjoy looking at it,posted byIlex

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34658&page=4

Post # 47

I just got about 20 new varieties from Ilex,via SSE Yearbook, and mentioned to him about the one in post #47, and there were 3 deColgar ones sent but I don't yet know if any of them were like the one in the picture, or smilar.

In the last year or so I have become very interested in Spanish varieties b/c there are now a few in Spain who are sourcing large family ones, GWRipe ones and so much more. Vladimir's thread with his Spanish Project last year was also an eye opener for me as well.

When the Spanish took tomato seeds from Mexico they spread them to several places, but especially Portugal and Spain,which back then were not two separate countries.

So by mutation and X pollination they have more time than elsewhere to develop the biological diversity that's now being seen.

I was VERY impressed with that picture in post#47.

Carolyn
Just updating b/c I got the variety descriptions from Ilex about an hour ago and he DID send the one from the elderlyman, and two more multifloras, and a couple of new GWRipes as wellas that beautiful striped one he pictured,

So tonight I am happy happy.

Carolyn