View Single Post
Old April 28, 2017   #41
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I hear you with the citrus blossoms. We have a original orange grove tree in our yard and the neighbor has a lemon tree hanging in my yard. After the rain this year the orange tree in my yard was so white with blossoms it looked like it was covered in snow. I dust the tree with DE whenever I hit the garden with it.
I have a lemon and orange side by side. Orange blooms in waves, lemon in constant hiccups, so there's flowers opening up offering up new real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Aw. Go get em, tiger. That is a struggle us folks up here don't have to wage. All those cold winter days do have there upside. I'll try to remember that next time I have to shovel snow. Good luck with your salavaging battle.

Any trip report to share?
I miss snow, hearing my footsteps and the crisp nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Oh Crap! Gerardo, I hate reading this, and I can empathize. I have had minor issues with thrips, but I was getting more problems from the suck bugs. Oddly, expensively, but happily, lightning struck and killed my bishofia tree in the back yard. $2200.00 later, tree gone, stump ground, and not a single engytatus modestus this year, plus lots more full sun area to plant things in. Yipee!
The local Rare Fruit Council had their annual sale this past weekend, I got a Cacao for under the mango tree, thanks for the suggestion, plus a Nam Doc Mai- (Siatung cultivar)Mango, and a pomegranate.
Your comment about hair on your chest cracked me up. And I can understand! I know that resolve well.

I have to look up some of those poisons you mentioned, I confess I haven't heard of them. When your whole crop is threatened, it's amazing how quickly organic methods can go town the flusher. People who live with frost and cold don't really get just how many insects live in paradise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpyrifos
The white stuff holding the beans together becomes the bottom picture: Suco de cacau. I'm envious.

cacau.png

suco de cacau.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Not good at all but I just read that San Diego is the craft beer capital of the WORLD, so that should cheer you up at least a little bit.

Carolyn
For years it was difficult to get good beer south of the border. The craft has spilled over and Tijuana is the tip of the spear for the microbrew movement in MX, borders are cool that way, with things drifting in both directions. Lots of good flavors on both sides, when on foot or Uber I partake.

Last edited by Gerardo; April 28, 2017 at 02:57 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote