View Single Post
Old October 13, 2019   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

I am trying something different this year for mulching the garlic. Every year, finding mulch is a big project that sends me far afield. Sometimes I don't get enough! Some years I had lots of kelp but that hasn't been the case for several years now, although I have a little. So instead I looked around the perennial garden for something that I could use without filling my beds with seeds.

I found a couple of candidates. Agrimony is very leafy, and the seeds are on tall spires that rise above the plant. So it's easy to clip off the seeds, then use the rest as mulch. One type of goldenrod (a weed at the back of the garden) is quite leafy and also has limited seeding/flowering parts at the top which can be clipped off, then clip the plants for mulching. I also am eyeing the geranium, which is certainly leafy and doesn't produce a lot of seeds.

I'm trying out the agrimony. If it works, I could plant rows to use as mulch for new garlic beds. No more driving around after mulch (okay maybe some kelp treats will still be worth it! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg agrimony-leafy.jpg (189.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg agrimony-seed-snipped.jpg (263.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg agrimony-piled-on.jpg (163.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg newgarlicbed-mulched.jpg (184.2 KB, 86 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote