Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old June 2, 2017   #657
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Freaky late-Spring storm tore through my area yesterday. I was out shopping, and it suddenly started pouring rain and the air temperature dropped 20 degrees. I spotted some strange-looking, funnel-shaped clouds to my south, so I got in my car and drove north... Turns out, I was just one town away from a tornado that actually touched down: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/s...day/362162001/

No sirens in these parts. Tornadoes aren't that common around here.

But the storm brought high winds and hail that killed a pepper plant and a couple of basils. I'm hoping the eggplants will survive; their leaves look like Swiss cheese at the moment...
I just returned from 5 days in the Catskills. We got hit hard by a few monster storms.
Dead calm and sunny one minute, then dark sky and temp drop, high winds. Hail
warnings but spared. Why i have raised beds, strong teepee style trellising, and
shade/rain/hail frames for the young plants and direct seeded beds. Otherwise it would
be some time before planting anything...mud pit.

We were in the garden trying to finish up securing the last of the trellis and get in some
more tomatoes when one hit. We can see them coming but this front was fast moving...
weather radar on my phone helps with timing but that was a struggle.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote