View Single Post
Old January 19, 2008   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Winter Harvesting Potatoes

Sometimes I think that as moderator of the Potato Forum here on TVille, I wait for folks to bring up questions for me to answer. It is obvious from what I think, and I might as well offer my opinions, it is that I need to initiate ideas, trends, research, how to's, and the like because I think most readers know I am full of it!

I get bored when no one is posting here. Maybe the answer is to just post myself. If anyone responds with a balance of positives and negative, then it is a zero sum game!

I used to post on another forum that was strictly potatoes. It has been boring over there too! I have not posted there for years. Let's find something to talk about, will we?

This is probably the most silly subject folks have ever come up against. WINTER HARVESTING POTATOES.

I am an old-fashioned conservative in more ways than I care to admit. I don't like to spend money for something when I don't have to. Paying for potato storage in some cooler somewhere, where the owners may gripe about rotton potato smells or worst, liquids running out of the bins, drives me up a wall.

Solution: Store in the ground 'til you need them for eating or planting.

I was out yesterday digging potatoes . I live in a climate that allows for that. The temps are generally this time of year in the mid to upper 30's in the day to just above freezing to just below that at night.

I had some rare help yesterday from a couple of mid thirties organic growers that wanted to buy seed potatoes from me to plant this spring. They wanted first crack at what I have and wanted to see the potatoes coming out of the ground. The young men were like young boys playing marbles! They identified the ones they wanted to plant

Anybody else doing that? I don't think so, but let me know otherwise.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote