View Single Post
Old January 21, 2008   #11
orflo
Tomatovillian™

The root cellar is quite common over here, partially because things can freeze for a few weeks(but the last time we had that was about twenty years ago), and partially because things rot in the wet winters. As far as late blight is concerned :in The Netherlands they had (or still have,I don't know) a law a few years ago:"no potatoes must be left in the open, on the fields, field borders,...No potatoes may resprout wherever there are some left, the sprouts must be removed immediately . Only well raised potatoes should be used for planting out in the spring". In fact, I think they were right, potato growth was nearly impossible because of the phytophtora (which can occur here from end of May, nothing late about it ). I live in an area where lots of potatoes are cultivated, acres and acres, farmers just leave the leftovers on their lands or make big heaps of leftovers, which is really no good.And yes, these potatoes do overwinter without any problem(at least the ones lying on the surface), sometimes you see fields of potato sprouts late March, if there is a warm spell.
And yes, you could be selecting a blight resisting potato when you leave them, I just wonder if the rotten potatoes right beside the other ones aren't a major source of spreading the disease again. But after all, if they are resistant, that's just the way to find out. I'm trying sarpo mira this year, and maybe sarpo axona, just to test their resistance.I guess your Skagit Valley Gold is unavailable over here?
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote