Thread: Pinetree garden
View Single Post
Old June 29, 2013   #14
thefluffybunny
Tomatovillian™

Default odd man out

Well I am definitely the odd man out on this one. My experiences with Pinetree were very negative. The first year I tried to order from them, shipping was delayed till the point I cancelled the order (to their credit they did respond quickly on the cancellation) as it was getting to late to start them and I ended up buying off the seed racks.

The second year they fulfilled the order, but I wish they had not. Overall it was the lowest germination rates of any seeds I encountered. The stuff I had around for 5-15 years germinated in a superior fashion. I was forced to do that, simply because the Pinetree seeds germination rate was so poor I had to use extra seeds of proven varieties to fill up my garden space. The last straw was several of the varieties that did germinate did not seem to be true to name. However this was restricted tomatoes and peppers. I ended up reordering those seeds from Tatiana’s and then the grow outs match my expectations based on recollection and printed descriptions.

So in summary, extreme delay in shipping, very, very, very poor germination rates, and seeming incorrect varieties. On the positive side, they did issue a lightening face refund when I cancelled the initial order due to the delay in shipping. They also had very reasonable prices and tolerable shipping. I have not tried them since, especially since I am more inclined to order tomato, and pepper seeds than anything, and those were the two genre of items I had varietal trouble with.
thefluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote