View Single Post
Old December 27, 2019   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

A few years back I had a few volunteer sweet potatoes pop up in my bell pepper bed and just allowed them to grow. I ended up getting more sweet potatoes out of that bed under the peppers than when the bed was dedicated solely to sweet potatoes the year before. I have since put a few slips in my bell pepper beds every year since with great results both for the potatoes and bell peppers. They do sometimes try climbing up my plants but I just clip the vines if they become a problem and I keep them trimmed at the edge of my raised beds with a hedge clipper.

I have also had them in my tomato beds with fairly good results but they fared poorly under okra. The okra shaded the vines too much and since I do lean and lower with my tomatoes it was a bit too messy for me to deal with easily. There seems to be a symbiotic relationship that really works for both plants when sweet potatoes are planted with bell peppers. I have seen my bell peppers produce more and stay healthier longer with the potato vines under them and at the same time the potato vines seem to produce more when running under the bells.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote