View Single Post
Old July 10, 2017   #32
bower
Tomatovillian™

SueCT, I have the same concerns about bunnies here, except more for the yearly rotation of garlic beds than for a late planting after garlic harvest - since our garlic isn't pulled until August or even September some years, it's not likely anything can be sown and produce after that.

But this year I have sown some carrots and cilantro into last year's garlic bed, hoping to keep them off it with row cover. And I planted beans and beets into last year's onion bed, again using a row cover drape around it to keep the critters at bay. Looks pretty awful instead of awful pretty, but I don't care as long as it works....

I had the experience once, of having rabbits snuck off my pea plants right at the ground just before they were about to make peas. But they are staying away from my peas the last few years, which are in a small protected area and trellised on a net, and also staying out of raised beds with wooden frames.
I've also planted my peas and other things pretty late instead of going for the early crop... which is when the animals are starving and not much else for them! Pots of aphidy celery I put out by the door in spring are so quickly gone before morning. Later stuff, not touched. So you may do better than hoped for.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote