View Single Post
Old August 7, 2019   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
I'm sure I posted a reply to this last night but I don't see it. Hmmm...

Bill, thank you so much for taking the time to post all this great information! I really appreciate it. The cole plants will be started next week so I need to order some seed today and that reminds me to check my other fall seed this morning to see if I need anything else. If it's just Brussels needed I'll go with Long Island Improved since the DTM don't seem much different from Hestia and I can get one pack of the LI from Baker Creek without shipping charges.

After getting cauliflower tips here I managed to produce a small head or two this spring, enough to make me do it again this fall for a much more climatically fair trial. It had been on my "never again" list too so there's hope for the Brussels!
I hope the Long Island Improved works better for you than it did for me although it did do fair for one year the next was pitiful. It could have just been the conditions that year but Hestia has done good three years in a row. I may try another variety if I hear about another one being as dependable as it has been. I have had other varieties do good for one or even two years but Hestia is the first to go three years with great results. I grew one called Bubbles that was the earliest I have ever grown and it did pretty good for two years but the third year was a flop and it tended to have too many sprouts that stayed soft. Another that did well but was slow to make was Diablo. It made huge beautiful sprouts on enormous plants but if spring was a little short the production would be way down. Churchill did really good once but the next time it did awful.

Good luck.
Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote