Thread: Fall Cole Crops
View Single Post
Old September 27, 2018   #39
agee12
Tomatovillian™

This year I got very flaky in terms of trying to decide should the seedlings be inside where it's cooler, be outside in full shade or outside in partial shade.

Last year I planted them outside in pots in the shade and got better germination and growth rate than I am getting this year. I actually planted peas not too long ago and kept them inside and then several seedlings went splat and I suspect that I got hit with damping off which is now making me think that is why I had such low germination and survival with my 2018 brassicas. I associate damping off with winter and early spring sowing so I did not take the precautions that I took when I seed started during the winter / early spring.

My initial thought for 2019 is that I am going to seed start for brassicas as early as June. It may turn out that that's too early but I have enough seeds to succession plant. Also if I do keep the seedlings inside I will also take precautions against damping off.

ETA:

Maybe I will try and get ahold of some Hestia seeds as well. I recall reading a description of them and they did seems like a good fit for my area but I think that the vendor was out-of-stock at the time I was considering buying the seed and since then I have gotten seeds from other sources, but I may need to add them back on my shopping list.

Last edited by agee12; September 27, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote