View Single Post
Old February 2, 2022   #13
HastingsMN
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyolf View Post
I don't think it's worth my time to keep THAT detailed of a record.

I try to track "growing degree days" as opposed to the older DTM. Here in N Central MN, an 80-day variety is a long-season sort, taking 95 days. Unfortunately, not many use that data

"Fantastic" averages about 1700 GDD for me. In my garden that occurs in early- to mid-August. Fantastic used to be an extremely popular variety, less so now, but one can still get seeds easily.
That is very smart, I could do that with my tomatoes too! One more column for the spreadsheet.

I will cheat though on the GDD, I found a web page that will calculate your local GDD if you put in your zip code. I found it last year when I was trying to note GDD for some new corn varieties, I thought maybe the MN Dept of Agriculture might do it like the soil temperature network but then found it here: https://www.greencastonline.com/grow...gree-days/home.

My tomato variety selection process is not very sophisticated, I like to have lots of different colors and sizes, and I have lots of room as long as I am willing to prep a bed of the size required. And I have noticed that some perform better if it's very hot/dry, and some with more moisture, and given the unpredictability of our summers lately that's kind of handy, because you end up having something that produces well. The Master Gardener program is trialing Brandywine types this year, so that will be interesting.
HastingsMN is offline   Reply With Quote