View Single Post
Old August 25, 2013   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I can't believe I just lost a very long post that related to a link that I put up. I went to get another link and lost everything.

So let me see what I can recreate.

http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom...ates_rj_rr.htm

Scroll down to where you see Roi Humbert and a series of catalogs. Note where it says a pre-1800 variety and originated in the US and named for the King of Italy.

Then click on the various catalogs to see what was written, and note that it was known as Chiswick Red in England early on.

And in the 4th catalog grown in Naples in 1912.

Then look at the timeline dates in order.

The question is, to me, what was being grown in the US pre-1800 that could have been named in the US at that time. There were many Italian immigrants who came to the US pre-1800 and no doubt they brought seeds with them, and the shape of Roi Humbert is "roma" shape and it would make sense that someone wanted to honor the King of Italy from their home country and named an unnamed roma that was brought to the US.

So yes, originated in the US as a named variety, but probably from Italy as an unnamed roma variety brought to the US by Italian immigrants.

And widely distributed in many countries early on as we also know happened with many other varieties.

Also note in listings below the one with catalogs that white and yellow and pink versions of it were reported and where they were reported from.

Christian Lemaire, who owns Ventmarin, is a superb researcher and obviously has a strong interest in Roi Humbert.

Are there errors at the site in descriptions? Yes, some that have been found but primarily when he had to get info from others.

No way am I going to go fetch another link and possibly lose this post.

I apologize for not getting back here earlier, but surgery is this week, the Feds have still not sent my tax rebate where it should be sent, saying due to sequestration and eliminiation of many IRS agents, had to deal with transferring money from my retirement account, complex, and then lots of other stuff.

Happy reading.

Carolyn