View Single Post
Old November 14, 2014   #44
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Drew, Hermitian, ColeRobbie,

Sorry to hyjack the basil thread.
It looks like Drew's VHO is 6500 K, same as my regular T5's. If not extra lumens , what is the gain with the superior fixture ? It seems your basil does better than mine indoors.

Going to make tea to get sleepy. GNite all.

- L.
6500 K is just the light spectrum (The blue spectrum), you could go with the red 3000 K lights for flowering or mix them up. The color of light is determined by how many cycles per second or how many complete sine waves per second. 6500K is blue, 3000K is red. 5200K is green etc. The output is 30% greater per bulb on my light. So the amount of light coming off mine is greater. More light=more growth.

Also do you have a t-5, or a t-5 HO? If just a T-5 output at best is 2900 lumens at 4 feet. So to put out as much visible light as mine you would need over 8 four foot bulbs. Most plant light bulbs are HO bulbs. A 4 foot four bulb t-5 HO puts out 20000 lumens. Mine puts out 28800 (30% greater output). If you have only 2 bulbs you are putting out 10K lumens. That may explain lack of growth. You know though I would expect weak growth, not a lack of growth, well i guess it depends, how plant reacts to low light conditions.

I have a jasmine that will grow spindly with weak light. With good light it grows thick branches. It will grow though either way.

Also I keep mine on for 12 hours a day.

Last edited by drew51; November 14, 2014 at 12:55 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote