View Single Post
Old April 14, 2018   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
@kath, are your brussels sprouts for summer picking? I tried them last year, but I understood it to be a fall harvest crop and did not transplant until later. I haven't started them yet for this year. The ones that made it through last year were nice and sweet, but cabbage worms were murderous.

I know it is time of year to get the spring stuff out, but I guess I am thinking more from a tactical standpoint. Last week, this week, mid April - it is time, most years. But, two sunny warm/hot days, then 3-4 days of wet, cold, wind. Is it best to jump on that first day, or the evening before the weather? Is the cold, wet actually better for transplant than extended sunny and warm, as long as there is no washout?

On Thurs I was set to go for planting out on Sat. The Sunday weather at that time was 60F/50 with some showers likely. Sounded good.
On Friday all the forecasts changed to Sunday being a high of 48/45 with high winds and rain. Hmm.
Today, forecast for Sunday changed to 43F/43 with east winds and 1" of rain. Monday and Tues nights show 36F and 35F.

Had I not looked at the weather forecast at all, I would have planted out Fri evening / Saturday. With the hesitation, I ended up working on a chipper and didn't get around to the garden. Or get the chipper started. I posted the query here after it was too late, and I'm still not sure which I should have done.

Well, I guess the obvious answer; I should have went fishing.
Yes, I grow Gustus brussel sprouts and find that they are just as delicious in the spring and summer as in the fall! The plants I sow in March and plant in April continue to grow and produce until Oct/Nov! They need to be staked and grow to about 6' tall. The cabbage worms go after all the brassicas, but the aphids can really get into the brussel sprouts, too.

I usually try to find the time when the soil is dry enough to work and then go for it. I also don't like to wait too long to get the spring stuff in because they can suffer if it gets too hot too soon or if they outgrow their pots and I'm too lazy to pot them up again. Guess it's personal preference.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote