View Single Post
Old November 25, 2008   #7
natural
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

The restaurant sales CAN be complicated. However, the examples that I listed need not apply. I just wanted to list the types of requests that we received.

We were very fortunate to have a huge selection of restaurants to choose from. After my first year of growing, I "Cherry picked" the chefs that I wanted to deal with. All of those chefs fell into the "We'll take whatever you have" category. If you can find those chefs, it's really a no-brainer.

For delivery times, the chefs were very flexible. I actually chose the delivery days and times. The only thing they required was that I "show up" when I said I would, with the agreed on quantities. So, I was able to work within my own schedule.

Pricing for the metro Atlanta area is $4 to $5 PER LB.
A typical delivery for me was maybe 120 lbs (3 times a week) or larger volumes if only doing 2 deliveries a week. This equates to around $500 for a 3 hour round trip for the smaller delivery.

The issue I have with only selling exclusively at Farmers Markets is: If you have a fair volume of tomatoes and IT RAINS OUT your weekend market, you are stuck. That happened to us one time and we lost $1000 in sales because we did not have another outlet. That never happened to us again.

Pricing: We charged the same amount for chefs and farmers markets. $4 to $5 a lb here is comparable to the local "Upscale Grocery". We could have charged more because our tomatoes are better than the "overripe heirlooms that are over a week old and shipped across the country" at the upscale grocery. However, we felt like we were getting a fair price and supplying a superior product to our customers. Everyone is happy.

Many people sell their #1's to chefs and #2's at markets. We tried to never sell inferior product at the markets. Again we charge the same prices, so the quality should be just as good. IF we sold out of #1's we would offer #2's at reduced prices and made it VERY CLEAR with signage. Having top quality at the markets gave us a HUGE advantage over others.

CDEVIDAL,

Yes. There is a HUGE demand for organic (which we were), although, locally/sustainably grown is becoming just as important. Many organic farmers that I know are choosing to drop their "Organic" status and focus more on communicating their sustainable growing methods to customers. Many customers are happy just being able to put a "face" with their veggies.

Growing size ranged from half an acre to 3 acres and then back to half an acre last year. Never tracked yields (too busy, and always exceeded my needed sales goals)

Hot sellers were "anything and everything".

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote