View Single Post
Old May 24, 2015   #1
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Default native soil for heirloom varieties

Hi Everyone!
So, I LOVE the black krim (Crim)tomato. I had a thought on how i could produce even more than my 7 plants currently develop. Then it hit me. A Heirloom must have started someplace and if i find the soil content where it came from and try to reproduce the soil here, then 'all' that remains is the climate to deal with.
Unfortunately for me, i used all of my aloted tomato space for the first planting in the garden, 7 large plants all producing, 1 of which is a clone of the largest strongest plant.
ANYWAYS, for those of you whom wish to try this with the black krim in your own garden OR container i am providing the content of the pertinent artical, which i will be using that contains the info for this project. enjoy and good luck!
===============
In the Crimea there is an analogous, although inverse, sequence of soil belts associated with rising elevation from north to south: in the north, chestnut soils with associated solonetz soils and solonchak soils; in the middle, southern chernozems, followed by a carbonate-rich, shallow variant of the common chernozems and small areas of chernozems on heavy clays (Kerch Peninsula); and in the mountains, stony brown mountainforest soils interspersed with small pockets of mountain meadow soils at the highest elevations. On the warm south slopes the soil is transitional into the reddish brown soils typical in a Mediterranean climate.

A similar sequence occurs in Subcaucasia, with carbonate-rich variants of the common chernozems and the deep chernozems at low elevations in the north, carbonate-rich brown mountain forest soils on the mountain slopes, and mountain meadow soils at the highest elevations. On the southern slopes to the Black Sea coast are reddish brown soils. Only the broad alluvial plain of the Kuban River is dominated by ‘azonal’ alluvial soils; its delta contains ‘intrazonal’ bog soils.

In the Crimea there is an analogous, although inverse, sequence of soil belts associated with rising elevation from north to south: in the north, chestnut soils with associated solonetz soils and solonchak soils; in the middle, southern chernozems, followed by a carbonate-rich, shallow variant of the common chernozems and small areas of chernozems on heavy clays (Kerch Peninsula); and in the mountains, stony brown mountainforest soils interspersed with small pockets of mountain meadow soils at the highest elevations. On the warm south slopes the soil is transitional into the reddish brown soils typical in a Mediterranean climate.

A similar sequence occurs in Subcaucasia, with carbonate-rich variants of the common chernozems and the deep chernozems at low elevations in the north, carbonate-rich brown mountain forest soils on the mountain slopes, and mountain meadow soils at the highest elevations. On the southern slopes to the Black Sea coast are reddish brown soils. Only the broad alluvial plain of the Kuban River is dominated by ‘azonal’ alluvial soils; its delta contains ‘intrazonal’ bog soils.
garden381 is offline   Reply With Quote