View Single Post
Old April 2, 2018   #12
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
2 years ago I grew Porter, CHearing Porter and Porter Pride. Honestly I could not tell you the difference in flavor between any of them. Between the Porter and CHPorter the plants were the same egg size and shape, pink fruit with a ref flesh. CHporter germination rate was much lower. Perhaps the seeds were older? Dunno. Porter pride is a little smaller than a tennis ball and red not pink. All 3 taste about the same. All three are quite productive but the porter pride was slightly less so. All 3 did produce up to high 90's but slow down considerably. Over 105 it produce nothing, but in the fall when things cool a bit, new blossoms emerge Also noticed they do better with a little less watering than the other varieties I have grown. Its a good tomato. Good flavor.
Thank you for writing your experience. It generally gets in the high 90's to low 100's here in Julyish but I don't expect much from any plant in that kind of heat except from cactus maybe.

Since I got you here tee hee! I would like to ask you if the flavor beats most other cherries?

I like a twangy tomato but the key for me is a tomato that has a wide taste going from sweet to salty to acidy to fruity. Best way I know how to describe it. The salty part could be imagined but tomatoes don't taste like the ones my mother grew in that deep dark dirt in Lakeland FL.

I'm growing in hard as a rock clay here that I am slowly fortifying.

Of course mom always threw a catfish head in the hole before planting too. Maybe I oughta get some fish emulsion.

Basically I've had some good cherries I'm betting on Porter being more well rounded than the sweet hybrids out today.

I'm excited to grow Porter.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote