View Single Post
Old April 2, 2018   #14
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
This may not be the tomato you're looking for. I too, like a tomato with somewhat of a bite but this one, at least to me, tastes a little bland. I grow them every year for canning because I like to can whole tomatoes and I can get anywhere from 20-25 in a pint jar. With the lemon juice and salt added at canning they make a fantastic canned tomato.

Last year I had two plants and canned 36 pints (well over 700 tomatoes). Next year I believe I'll try the Porter's Pride if I can remember to order the seeds.
Do you maybe over water your plants?

I'm growing in an arid climate watering as little as possible.

Quite sure a variety that has lasted this many years is not gonna be bland. I mean if I can make Early Girl taste good in my garden quite sure any heirloom that many love and call their favorite is gonna have fighting chance at my place.

And you might be completely right and it turns out horrible and I come on here to word duel the Porteristos!

All Porter has to do at my place is beat the grocery store cardboard tree ornaments. Once we get to that point I can work on amending the soil and growing techniques until I have mastered the art of Porterism.

From seed to soil to sun to water to plate I will give Porter her chance to shine.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote