Thread: Fall cucumbers
View Single Post
Old August 5, 2017   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I pulled my old cucumbers this past week and started my seed for fall plants. I will set them out when they are large enough and after hardening them off.

I grow Sweet Success, and a couple of other similar burpless varieties. I find that mulching them heavily helps a great deal no mater when they are planted and feeding them regularly with Vegetable formula from Urban Farms.

This was the best year for cucumbers that I have ever had. Thanks to the incessant rains that really created a lot of diseases for my tomatoes the cucumbers never suffered for lack of water this season. I feed them every week and kept them sprayed with both the diluted bleach spray and a copper fungicide when I was spraying my tomatoes and that helped keep the leaf diseases in check. I also did something that I just tried a bit last year and that was keeping all the older leaves pruned off and limiting the number of stems that I allowed to develop. It seemed to really make a difference but I will try again next year and see if I get a repeat good performance.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote