View Single Post
Old May 12, 2012   #77
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Got this recipe from one of my Korean neighbours. I watched her make it and got to taste some right out of the gate so to speak. And it was delicious. My portion is still aging. She said to keep it at room temperature for 3 days and then in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks before eating.

Think they used one of the online translators for the translation as the lady speaks limited English. So I am still trying to find out what dropwort is. I found Korean water dropwort online. I'll have to check out the local Korean grocery stores.

Zana

Kimchi (Korean Pickled Cabbage)

Ingredients
5 cabbages – nappa or bok choy
2 raddishes
5 cloves of garlic
5 cups of coarse salt
4 green onions
1 bundle of dropwort
3 ginger root
300g of mustard leaves
˝ cup of fish paste
2 cups of red chili pepper
1 cup of sticky rice paste
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of oysters

Directions
1. After cleaning the cabbages, cut them into 2 or 4 pieces.
2. Prepare salted water with a ration of 2.5 cups of salt to 10 cups of water, then soak the cabbages in it for 6-8 hours
3. Rinse the soaked cabbages in running water 3 times and then wait for them to dry a bit.
4. Cut dropwort, green onions, and radishes into lengths of 5 cm. then chop the garlic and ginger.
5. Prepare fish paste and add red chili pepper to it with sticky rice paste.
6. Wash oysters in salt water.
7. Mix the ingredients from steps 4, 5, and 6.
8. Put the mixture inside of each leaf then store in a kimchi pot. On the top, cover cabbage with a leaf and sprinkle some salt. Then place a heavy stone on top to compress it.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote