View Single Post
Old October 7, 2019   #6
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

Akmark, does your agronomist say that no matter how much you have in your soil in the way of nutrients at the start of the season that it will not be enough to make it through the season and that the addition of nutrients throughout the growing season is essential and unavoidable? I wonder how many home growers feel there is no need for in season fertilization unless you recognize a deficiency in the plants. Also $20 dollars or more per tissue analysis repeated monthly might be a little stiff for a home gardener? And add to this the postage which here is around $4 or $5. I can see the value of doing tissue analysis if you are growing an acre or so of tomatoes but not so much for 10 plants. I saw an interesting thing on 60 Minutes last night where a big grower was having his fields observed by satellite and then fertilizing the field via fertigation using computers and actually fertilizing different parts of the same field differently based on soil tests in season. He was associated somehow with Land of Lakes , main product butter and Purina animal feed, which is actually owned by farmers.