View Single Post
Old April 30, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
In the next few days, I shall receive some Sekaiichi seeds from Japan (maybe too late to grow them successfully this season). It is said that they are a specialty from the Tokyo region, red, round, about 200 - 300 grams. Has anybody grown them yet? What about the taste?

Something strange I found when googling the variety (but perhaps I didn't understand it quite well): Male blossoms of this variety are sterile??

Thanks for every advice and info! clara
Clara, I've never heard of it but you've done the Googling, etc., but I think I can tell you why it's not well known.

Varieties with male sterile blossoms means that no fruits will be set unless you individvuially pollinate them with pollen from elsewhere, which I doubt mnany folks would do. No male sexual structures of one kind of another makes for a sterile male, thus no pollen.

Varieties with male sterile blossoms are almost always used in the tomato breeding industry when creating new commercial hybrids so that they apply the desired pollen for that new F1 hybrid and not have to be concerned with emasculation of the pollen bearing anthers which is a very time consuming and expensive process.

There are many tomato breeding companies in Japan, probably in the Tokyo area and I'm thinking of Sakata and now I can't think of the others ones, but there are several very well known ones.