View Single Post
Old August 30, 2018   #11
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Sungold volunteers F2 did well for us. The taste was good but different and worth growing. I was hopeful the F3s would taste better, but no. (Our personal experience - I wouldn't want discourage anyone trying.)

Sungold F3s produced way differently. Some were current sized and still that golden color - without much taste. Others grew out the regular Sungold size but ripened to a color between gold and red. The taste was boring at best.

I have my own thoughts on Sungold, and I think Sungold is a cross of 3 or 4 different plants. One being a red or pink variety.
I appreciate this info and am not discouraged at all. I only would like one or two varieties of cherry other than Sungold. If it's not an F8 from a Sungold parent, in the end, that's ok. Maybe it'll be an Ambrosia (they all were not true for me in my first season with them this year) or something else.

All said and done, if I have something cheaper than Nectar that's a different color or texture, etc., than Sungold, but great for my taste (sweet, and as a bonus complex) then I'm set.

Did you try an F4 Sungold? Can a not so great F3 produce a better F4?
e.thad is offline   Reply With Quote