View Single Post
Old July 25, 2018   #13
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Without seeing them I would guess it is fusarium wilt. It doesn't have to show just on one side when it starts. It can start with just slight wilting followed by yellowing and dying of leaves and a branch or two but if it is not severe then sometimes the plants can linger for a long time with reduced production. The only true way to deal with it is to use resistant varieties or graft non resistant varieties onto a root stock that is resistant. I gardened with it for decades until it got so bad that I had to start grafting in order to have the varieties that I liked survive long enough to be productive.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. That it doesn't have to only start on one side, makes me think then that it is fusarium wilt as you and Zipcode believe. Otherwise, it has happened exactly like you describe, but earlier than what I've read. Due to us having a very warm early Summer that could add to the trouble.

Sheesh. Being a hobby gardener sure gives me respect for people who actually farm to put food on the table.
EarlyBird is offline   Reply With Quote