View Single Post
Old August 7, 2018   #4
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

peebee, thanks so much for this post.

For years I've been reading about the problems people have with spider mites and the plants lost to them.

I'm located in North Mississippi and have never had a problem with spider mites. No experience with them, so no advice to offer. I normally don't try to kill insects or animals. What I try to do is confuse and deter them so they don't eat my plants or lay their eggs on them. The primary way I do this is with a Garlic, Cayenne Pepper, and Ground Sage tea. The tea repels Deer, Racoons, Possums, birds and most insects.

You may have noticed when you get hungry you find something to eat. Insects and animals are the same way. If the only thing growing in your garden is your vegetables, what do you think they are going to eat? I let the grass and weeds grow in my garden to act as a living mulch and food for the insects and animals. I spray the tea on my plants but not on the grass and weeds.

I use the tea starting at transplant and when planting seeds (it masks the odor of the seeds so animals and birds can't find them and dig them up).

To use the tea, spray all of the plants and especially the underside of the leaves to the point of runoff. Repeat every week to 10 days to cover new growth.

If I ever have a problem with Spider Mites I'll know what to do. Thanks again, Claud

Last edited by saltmarsh; August 7, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote