View Single Post
Old November 10, 2017   #4
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi thankyou Patti and Worth ....Re water...although these are sitting on a capillary cloth I am very doubtful of wether they could draw water up due to the Pot shape..Thats why I have checked these out and I doubt if they are overwatered and I have only given them the small 1/4 to 1/3 of cup of MG mix aproximately every 7 days ....
Because my freezer broke down I was unable to keep the air at a constant temperature ..I did try manually feeding ice into the reservoir sitting inside the broken down freezer box?? but the temperature was up and down like a yo- yo....from 17 to 28 degrees...because of the lights..
Re the light ..I would lower the lights but the temperature would raise til at 26-28 degrees I would either switch the lights off or raise the lid/lights up to lower the temperature build up.....So they have not had a good time due to inconsistancy...The second tray plants are smaller so they look better but they will surely go the same way ....

So the Greenhouse... Well its light here from just after 6am to 8.30pm (I think) ...We are having a bad patch of weather but my greenhouse is insulated?plus I have standup fans to use to blow air over them ...Some fans are in use 24/7 on my 3 plants purchased from the garden centre..
In fact I should shift my bed out there as its nice and warm...I went out earlier which I do every morning after getting up to check my 3 Tasty Toms ....and I certainly thought that maybe my young plants would be better off out here and this led me to taking photos and posting for opinions..I am still at a loss to how seedlings get thick stem growth although some varieties amaze me by the way their stems thicken up after earlier looking quite spindly...

I am rethinking the growing chamber all of the time....Its now too late IMO this season...Already I can see that the water through tubes is not an ideal way to get a constant temperature in a confined space...There are Peltier air cooling kits that could sit in the chamber bottom or just air transfer from a Fridge freezer into the chamber..All controlable and far less problems...than the system put in place...

Now what I could do about lights....I could raise the lights right out of the chamber altogether and put a support across the top of the chamber and put my trays up there and lower the lights down to top of the plants ...No heat build up etc then....The temp would depend on the ambient temp...But I cannot do that out in the greenhouse because I could not move everything out there at this point of time...but Patti's suggestion I am sure would work and I will consider it next season.... I actually think a standup fridge freezer would make more sense than a chest freezer (of course these do not go so one gets them cheap and one creates special lighting inside and the temp comes from an outside source....)

I will move the trays and post another photo and see what you think ....REgards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote