View Single Post
Old February 23, 2006   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Don and others,

That's the story, re the postage stamp and the variety Polish, except there are several just named Polish, but it really doesn't make any sense to me since there was no need at all to smuggle any seeds from Europe to the US.

Between the late 1800's and about 1920 was the major wave of immigration to the US and thousands of immigrants brought their seeds with them, tomato and otherwise.

And that's b'c they were treasured family heirlooms, just as much as other treasured heirlooms that they brought with them.

Time and time again when I'd get a new family heirloom from someone it could be traced back to that time period.

And it's still happening, witness the seeds I got for Sandul Moldovan and a few others that came over to the US with families that have immigrated just within the last decade or so.

I have been giving thought to this and will post some stories, but I want them to have more detail to be able to help the kids learn more, for I think that should be the purpose/focus of gw's putting those in a kid's book.

gw, what say you on that? Haven't heard from you lately.