View Single Post
Old August 10, 2012   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
For side dressing plants two of the easiest and cheapest that give a good dose of nutrients are cottonseed meal (bought in the 50 lb bags) and chicken manure. Both can be worked into the soil lightly around the plants and watered in well and will both give the plants a good boost. The chicken manure works faster; but is far more expensive when the composted bagged variety is used. If you know anyone who has a chicken house then try to get a few scoops but make sure to keep it dry til it is put out or it will smell very bad. The cottonseed meal is slower to act but is a good slow release fertilizer that feeds plants for a long time.
I am glad you pionted out the very dry condition of chicken manure. I just want to add that: made sure is goes througt a long process before using. It's been sad for me to see new big farmers use raw manure, before letting the natural process of the manure take place over the news. But, most chicken farmers are letting their manure set for a year before selling it to protect new farmers & growers.

Thant good News!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote