View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013   #82
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Seed are accumulating rapidly now. I have the requested accessions from TGRC. I received a pack of PI 120256 from ARS today. I also have identified the below varieties as potentially cold tolerant from seed I already have. The seed from Andrey should arrive next week. Tatiana is also sending me some varieties that she thinks may have some cold tolerance.

Kotlas - Small early red potato leaf
Bellstar - Jointless and was developed in Canada with a degree of cold tolerance
Wheatley's Frost Resistant - has cold tolerance, but seems oriented toward late season rather than early spring
Glacier - Small early and productive with some cold tolerance
Stupice - Small early and productive with some cold tolerance
Siberian - Small early and productive with some cold tolerance
Siberia #2 - Small red potato leaf with stress tolerance
Tastiheart - my selection that survived 22 degrees F April 7th 2007
LA2006 - ft gene for setting fruit at low temps.
PI 120256 - One research paper says it has high cold tolerance
Lyuda's Mom's Red Ukraine - thick walled oblate red slicing tomato
Moskvich - Small red tomato but may have some cold tolerance
Russian Bogatyr - Regular leaf irregular red
Winter - Small red, unknown cold tolerance

From Tatiana:
Sasha's Altai - This is commonly reported to be a cold tolerant variety

In addition to the above, I have about 70 breeding lines from TGRC that involve wild species. Tests should quickly show which have cold tolerance.

I have one further thought about the breeding work as documented in research literature and directed toward developing tomatoes for cold climates. The work that has been done to date was oriented toward producing a small fruited plant that grows very fast and matures fruit in a short season. In other words, to change the number of growing degree days to fruit maturity. My efforts will be oriented toward reducing the temperature value of a single growing degree day. In other words, to produce a tomato that actively grows at lower temperatures than normal.
DarJones

Last edited by Fusion_power; January 11, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote