View Single Post
Old February 6, 2015   #49
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Sun City Linda; Parah, and others,
I don't require others to defend my reasons or positions about Cowlick's Brandywine, although its nice to see some who feel that way. There's always some who are negative about everything. I named what I thought was an exceptional tasting and productive tomato after the nursery where I bought the plant...and after all it was a Brandywine. Not at all like the dozens of other Brandywines I was growing at the time.
Now the plant itself did have a great place in the corner of my fenced in garden at the base of the sandmound. It also had other Brandywines running down the fence in both directions. It was also an exceptional year as stated before. It also outperformed every other Brandywine in the garden and there were plenty of them, as well as hundreds of other large slicers of many colors. When I wanted a tomato to eat for myself, I went to the Cowlick's...They were larger, tasted better, and were my favorite.
Not only thin-skinned, small core, almost non-existent, but they made a great sauce, especially when combined with Cherokee Purple that year. Yes we made a lot of sauce from them as there were more than could be eaten on sandwiches or in salads.

Perhaps, I shouldn't have used the Brandywine name...but that's what it was, or was supposed to be. The only variety that comes close is Brandywine-Glicks, which runs somewhat behind in producing ripe tomatoes and always quits before Cowlick's.
Yes, I've grown thousands of varieties, always favoring the larger slicers, especially those with thin skins and small cores, but mostly those with great taste and good production. I also favor those with better than average disease resistance.
Stump of the World, Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top are a couple of truely great tasting tomatoes in the Brandywine style, but both are very susceptible to early Blight and/or Septoria in my gardens so I don't grow them anymore. Ed's Millennium, and Mrs Benson are similar styles but just don't yield many tomatoes either, so I don't grow them anymore.
Cowlick's have been the best Brandywines for years now, but I've also decreased their numbers in favor of German Johnson-Benton Strain ( different types), which are NOT the typical German Johnsons available from different sources. But that's a whole different can of worms.

I want to thank all supporters and growers of Cowlick Brandywines. They can understand what I'm talking about as far as it being much superior to Brandywine-Sudduth's and others. Please enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote