Thread: Potting soil
View Single Post
Old March 4, 2012   #1
Daylilyfanatic4
Tomatovillian™

Default Potting soil

Potting soil is getting expensive around here and I was hoping to mix my own this year to save $$. I figure a 60/40 blend of peat to compost would work. I can get a couple bales of peat moss but I'm wondering what to do about the compost part. The town supplies free weed free compost every year for free but it has to many undecomposed woodchips to be useful in containers. I do make my own compost but not a nearly enoguh. The easiest source for me would be lowes but I'm having trouble finding any good quality brands of just plain compost (not potting soil). Anyone have suggestions of what to look for?

According to the Lowes website this Mushroom Compost is avaliable at my local store but the "high water holding capacity" advertised worries me. I'm afraid it won't drain well and I'll end up with a soggy mess.

There is also Scotts Brand soil. Has anyone ever tried these products? Do you think they'd work? I'm looking to fill 9 10 gallon grow bags and 8 9 quart pots how much soil would I need if I get two bags of 3cu foot peat moss. So probably a total of 12 cubic feet when it is loose.

I need to fill 108 gallons of soil the peat moss should be approximetly 89 gallons if my calculations are corect which means how many bags of potting soil?

Thanks for the help.