Thread: Kumato
View Single Post
Old June 30, 2018   #49
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Kumato -- Disappointing in Dirt!

After having difficulty in getting my Kumato (OP) seeds to germinate, I ended up planting two. One is in soil and one is in an EarthBox. The one in dirt is particularly disappointing -- it seems to be a magnet for fungal diseases. There are two main issues: Septoria and something else that I can't really identify. The leaves just turn gray and "crispy" and die. I have sprayed with copper soap, but without much effect. The plant is tall and narrow and pretty much "open," so one would think it has really good air circulation. There are 4 small tomatoes on the plant. It will get pulled probably tonight.

The other plant in an EarthBox is doing much better. Very little disease and a few more tomatoes. (Even this one seems a very shy producer, but maybe that will improve.) It is also tall and open. We'll see how this one produces in determining if I will save seeds and plant it again. I'm not ready to totally give up. If I don't get good enough results to warrant saving seeds, I'll try next season with some seeds saved from the grocery.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote