View Single Post
Old November 15, 2016   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Mine is put away right now, but basically it's a lever type - a short span from a 2x4 to the end of another piece of 2x4 which has a piece of rope on it. Even using it, there always seems to be one that doesn't want to turn loose. For that one (actually those), I bring the hose and put the setting maximum small stream. I use this to dig around the base of the stake. Then the lever action works well enough. It always works then, even on metal stakes that are "concreted" in place by dried out garden soil which has been more prevalent this year than any other year.

The draught is horrible here. Norris Lake is lower than I have ever seen it. Can't launch the boat any more. All the launches are dry to the end of the concrete ramps. The soil in my garden is cracker box dry and hard as concrete. I haven't had any rain since sometime back in July. I keep the bird bath full for my feathered buddies. Lots of critters are coming out of the woods looking for water and food. I've seen more possums, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, deer, coyotes, and the occasional bear in my front yard than all the previous 8 years combined.

Even the birds are hurting. Haven't seen many flocks of starlings or blackbirds moving south. The fires around here keep the air pretty smoked up. I'm in no danger here, but many of my neighbors are sweating this one out. We've bush hogged a lot of brush around a lot of homes and have hoses set up for immediate use. Our whole world here smells like a campfire.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote