View Single Post
Old February 26, 2015   #54
joseph
Tomatovillian™

This winter I am attempting to grow out the F1 seed of the crosses between Ot'Jagodka and tomatoes that had loose or open flower structures last summer. In my garden, Jagodka is an extra-early super-productive variety that is highly attractive to bumblebees. I am attempting to cross it with varieties that have loose or open flower structures in hopes of increasing the percentage of cross pollination of tomatoes in my garden. Because with more naturally occurring cross pollination, the genetic roulette wheel spins more often, so I get more opportunities to select for varieties that thrive under my specific conditions and way of doing things.

I am growing the plants in the basement at about 65 F. In front of an east facing window under 16 hours of fluorescent light per day. I also have a couple of crossed plants growing in the soil of the greenhouse. I also sent seeds to a grower in Alabama who is attempting to grow them out and get F2 seeds to me before spring.

Some of the plants are currently flowering. It is still 8 weeks before I typically start my tomato transplants, so that seems right on schedule.

From left to right: [DX52-12 X Ot'Jagodka], [Ot'Jagodka X Loose/Open], [Hillbilly X Ot'Jagodka].

Exerted Stigma on [Ot'Jagodka X Loose/Open].

Pollinating with a vibrator, and also by brushing flowers against each other.

Growing a couple plants in a walk-in cold-frame (a.k.a. greenhouse) under cloches, surrounded by bottles of water, under a floating row cover. So far so good. They are forming flower buds.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote