View Single Post
Old February 8, 2006   #11
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Wow Grub. What is a snozberry? I guess I really mistyped Prickly Pear Cactus, aka nopales. Here are some pictures for reference. I don't know if they are available in Australia.

Admin: naughty word filter overreacting again - fixed.

I am definitely planning on growing some chiles. For salsa, I'll probably play it safe and grow either Jalapeno or Serrano. Whatever I grow, I share with my grandparents. They are "old school" (traditional), so jalapenos and serranos are a must. Other family staples include Poblano for chile rellenos and anaheim chile for sauces.

Thank you for the advice about the vinegar and oil in salsa. I appreciate it. I normally use lemon or lime. Also, thank you for the recipe for low fat corn chips. I say you rotate between those and deep fried homemade corn tortillas. Corn oil is a must.

Don't tell Grandma :wink: , but I like to experiment with the spices I use in my salsa. Aside from the traditional (cumin, tomillo=thyme, Mex oregano), my fave herb is cinnamon basil. I let a plant wait until if flowers. I finely chop the basil flowers (and a couple of leaves) and toss it in with the rest of the salsa ingredients.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote