View Single Post
Old December 2, 2012   #9
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies

Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies ~ Here is another spin on my original Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies recipe. This time I turned the breakfast cookies into a moist, dense, spicy cookie version of carrot cake. They still have all the healthy goodness of my original breakfast cookie recipe, but also have the additional sweetness of both pureed & shredded carrot, as well as even more spices. Roy really likes this Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookie version, especially with the 'Pineapple Cream Cheese Icing' that I spread on top of the cooled cookies. The 'icing' is a healthy spin on the the traditional cream cheese icing that is so often found on carrot cake. Since my 'icing' is made with Greek yogurt & cream cheese, it's a soft spreadable 'icing' that is perfect when added right before serving.

I think the texture of the cookie is best if you use old fashioned oats & eat the cookies when they are completely cooled, or even when chilled first in the fridge. Try my Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies with & without the 'Pineapple Cream Cheese Icing' to see which way you like best. Enjoy!

makes 12 large or 16 regular cookies

2 mashed bananas
2/3 cup applesauce
2/3 cup pureed cooked carrots ((I nuke my sliced carrots until they're getting soft, then puree them in my small food processor))
1 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp dark molasses
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
½ cup ground almond flour
1 ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal ~ uncooked*GF
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped walnuts

Preheat heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl mix ~ vanilla extract, molasses & spices into the applesauce & carrot puree. When fully blended stir in the mashed banana & the shredded carrots until well combined.

Stir in the dry ingredients ~ oatmeal, almond flour, raisins & walnuts ~ combine until well blended. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.

Drop cookie dough, by spoonfuls, onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet & flatten cookies into rounds.

Bake approx. 35-45 minutes, or until golden & done. (time depends on how thick the cookies are)

Remove cookies from oven & let them rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then move to cooling rack.

When cookies are completely cool (or chilled in fridge), serve as is ~ or spread a layer of the 'Pineapple Cream Cheese Icing' on the top of the cookies & then serve.

The Pineapple Cream Cheese Icing is a soft, spreadable 'icing' that is the perfect way to top your Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookie!

** Optional 'Pineapple Cream Cheese Icing'
1/4 cup plain fat free or low fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fat free or low fat cream cheese
1 Tbsp crushed pineapple, drained (or more to taste) *optional
3 packets Equal (or your favorite sweetener, to taste)

** for the optional 'Pineapple Cream Cheese Icing' ~ While cookies are baking, place the yogurt & cream cheese in a small food processor & blend until smooth. (or do by hand) When nice & creamy, stir in the crushed pineapple & sweetener of choice. Taste & add more sweetener if desired. Store in fridge until ready to use and/or if you have any leftover.

When cookies are completely cool (or chilled in fridge), serve as is ~ or spread a layer of the 'Pineapple Cream Cheese Icing' on the top of the cookies & then serve.

Store remaining cookies in a covered container.

http://watching-what-i-eat.blogspot....kies-with.html

Last edited by Zana; December 2, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote