View Single Post
Old April 23, 2016   #67
MissS
Tomatovillian™

All of these are doing beautifully. What a great job that you have done with them. I would still leave them in these pots until you see more growth from them. I would like for their roots to fill the pots before moving them. That way the roots will not be prone to being damaged with the soil falling off. A good root ball will hold the soil together when you remove the plant from it container. This is important.

You will be removing all of the lower branches as your plants grow. When you do pot these up further, you will be removing the bottom leaves and planting these deeper. I always keep the lowest leaves and branches pruned so that they do not have contact with the soil.

I do like to use organic potting soil without moisture control if it is possible. I also like those with mycorrhizae (Mycorrhizal Fungi) in them. This helps plant strength, vigor and nutrient uptake. Your plants will be stronger if you use them. You may wish to try to find a hydroponic store if there are any around there. I find that our hydroponic stores are much more helpful than our garden centers. These stores seem to have better growing mediums and fertilizers. They also have a wealth of information and are happy to help you. At least where I live, these stores are just better all around.

I did not recall that these cuttings came from two different sources. Your first batch was rather old when we started working with them so I understood their problems. I have been frustrated with this second batch. I thought that using fresh material would be easy!

I am glad to hear that Black from Tula has no issues and is growing nicely for you. I hope that you will enjoy that one. This is how most cuttings go - easy.

Regards, Patti