View Single Post
Old August 28, 2014   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Hey A Little Salt,

Please join in the fun! I don't have Porter and I'm sure that many other people don't have it either. Start saving some seeds and fermenting them whenever you have a ripe one.

Last year we had to send in ten packets of ten seeds in whichever category we wanted to participate.

Hopefully, Garry will put up the categories soon.

I bet a lot of newbies living in high-heat areas would LOVE to have some Porter!

Tracy, You're in too, as commercial seeds are definitely allowed!

Linda
I read your reply, and when I wrote what I did, I was feeling pretty down. What I basically meant was that I have a few seeds that I am just learning how to save. I don't want to send in seeds that I have no idea if I saved them right or not? Tomorrow, August 28th, I'm going to remove the fermented mold and start drying the seeds. I've never done that before. I am a newbie

The seeds I will have do not come from that near perfect plants grown in the sun with large fruit. The plant I am saving seeds from is a volunteer that is growing in the shade, and the tomatoes are a little smaller than those plants bought and planted in full sun. Tomorrow, I am going to show the exact plant I am talking about in a post/thread in the photo section.

I can be stubborn sometimes believing in things that have proven to be strong. I do believe that this variety is strong especially pushed into growing in 95% dappled shade... it still produces even in high temps of 98+.

If I saved the seeds right, that's all I have to give. While joining into a seeds trade sounds really cool, and yes, I would grow seeds from Tomatoville growers above all else - it would be more important to me to see how my saved seeds do for everyone in different areas and zones across the world.

I'm not sure of what I am giving back. As I said, I am a newbie. I am not sure of what I have to offer, and giving seeds from bought varieties doesn't make sense to me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote