View Single Post
Old November 15, 2015   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I used to grow a 250 ft row of all kinds of melons each year and here are the watermelon ones that time after time were the sweetest in my zone 5 in upstate NY.

Blacktail Mountain
Orangeglo
Cream ofSaskatchewan
Yellow Doll F1 (pardon the hybrid but it's great)

I tried many versions of Moon and Stars but they never did very well for me, maybe once every few years for some,especially the yellow fleshed one which I thought was terrific and Glenn at Sandhill says the same thing about it,

Ja, over the years I used to send Glenn new tomato varieties and then I had my choice of almost anything but I wanted to grow watermelons.

And that b'c my father used to tell the stories about when he was a kid and he and some others would go out to the watermelon patch and plug them, meaning make a slanted 4 sided cut, pull out that plug and taste the flesh. Not ripe yet? Replace the plug.I never knew what variety he grew, never thought to ask, and maybe it didn't even have a name.

Glenn was the Curator for Cucurbits for SSE for many years which is why he lists so many melon varieties and it was he who sent seeds to Jere Gettle, for free, when Jere first started Baker Creek. And Jere got his first heirloom birdies from Glenn also.

Carolyn