View Single Post
Old April 9, 2017   #6
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

IMO if you have an internet provider that offers fiber to the home, the decision should be automatic. I recently had 100x100mbps fiber service installed at my office and it's incredible. We just couldn't justify the $700/mo price for 1000x1000 speed. If your wondering, business internet pricing is always 4x higher then residential for absolutely no reason.

Chances are that your current internet provider offers an inferior service which is usually delivered over copper the last ~1500 ft. To save $, providers will place a fiber "node" in the middle of a neighborhood then feed 10, 20 or 100 houses from that node via existing/old copper lines. Download speeds can be relatively fast, I'm guessing up to 150mbps, upload is usually around 5-10 mbps; all for around $60/month

Provider B comes in and offers 1000mbps download, 1000mbps upload for $100/month over dedicated fiber to the home. Think of how much more bandwidth that is for a slight $40 monthly increase, almost 10x the download and 100x the upload speed. Better yet, it'susually dedicated speed, meaning at 7pm when all your neighbors are home from work/school and streaming netflix, your speed is unaffected.

What I'd like to know is what happens when Provider C comes in the neighborhood and also offers fiber to the home. Would they bore a 2nd fiber line to your house? From what I've gathered, Provider B's fiber to your home is owned by them?...

In short, get fiber when you can, you wont' regret it. This movement will be like cellphones; once you have it, you will never look back. In the case of my office, the provider ran about 1000 ft. of metal conduit in the inside of the bldg, and bored about 500 ft under a parking lot, and destroyed/replaced all the landscaping surrounding a portion a new 15K seat sports arena... just to service my office, along with 2 other tenants. I'm sure the build-out cost them $30K minimum, why would they do that? Because they know, once you subscribe you will never look back. The service isn't comparible to the crappy 24 mbps download x 4 mbps upload I was previously getting. Not even close.

Last edited by pecker88; April 9, 2017 at 07:35 AM.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote