View Single Post
Old May 22, 2018   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbardo View Post
I had them all over the lower leaves of my tomatoes for a week or so. Ordered a bag of food grade diatomaceous earth on amazon and a little air puffer applicator. Havent had any issues since. Works great for slugs too. Just have to reapply every once in a while after rain washes it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DE doesn't work well on slugs for me. I have been trying it for years on lettuce and cabbage with little to no results. I even covered the ground a half inch deep around my cabbage seedlings with a mix of regular DE and some fine food grade DE and kept applying it right up til time to harvest them. The slugs must have just crawled through it because there were lots of slugs when it came time to pick the cabbage. The only thing I have found that works at all is one of the slug baits applied frequently.

I don't like using DE for a minor pest because it just keeps on working and kills good insects just as effectively as the bad ones. It may be organic but it is deadly and that is why I use it on spider mites, stink bugs and leaf footed bugs.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote