View Single Post
Old May 14, 2010   #9
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Just so we are on the same page (and you may already know this) - when I say wrappers, I mean those outside layers on a bulb that entirely surround all of the individual cloves.

The skin / "wrappers" inside that surround only each individual clove are frequently referred to as clove covers.

If you leave a bulb in too long, those outer (main) wrappers will start to go, and usually the last 4-6 leaves control those wrappers. So, if you leave a garlic in too long, it can affect storage life.

OTOH - if you harvest too early, individual clove formation might not be that good, or you could also end up with rounds. And sometimes you will just end up with some rounds, despite your best efforts.

Some years are tougher than others in Texas, some varieties tend to do better here, too.

In many ways, when to harvest garlic is a judgment call. Some varieties might be ready when you see 4-6 green leaves left, and others might need a little more time, perhaps even to the 2-3 leaf stage. That is why I carefully dig down by hand for each individual variety to check clove formation and don't just go by the leaves before deciding to harvest.

Also, some of the best info on growing garlic in Texas can be found here:

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/

I hope that all made sense, but if not, let me know.

At this point, yes, ceasing watering is likely the right thing to do. The vast majority of my garlic gets harvested mid-May, with some going to late May or even the first week of June. Much easier to dig it up without a lot of mess or fuss when the soil is on the dry side.

What variety or varieties are you growing?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote