View Single Post
Old October 10, 2017   #258
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Indian Zebra vs Cherokee Purple

I grew 2 plants of each of these. All had tomatoes on the plants when they were planted into the garden. Both ripened the same time in late June.

The tomatoes on both plants were the same size and the same color through the whole summer.

The plants were basically the same height.

At times it was hard to taste any difference in the tomatoes.

Did a taste test today on vine ripened tomatoes on both which were the same size and at peak ripeness. Cherokee Purple had a very complex taste, sweet with a bold finish. Indian Zebra was sweeter at first bite but still complex but not as bold with the finish. I love both of them and depending on who is tasting them could go either way depending on one's taste.

Indian Zebra was more productive than Cherokee Purple. The reason for this I think is it set a little better in the heat and humidity.

I am probably going to grow both every year cause I do prefer slightly the taste of Cherokee Purple and it is very slightly.

Another note. I did not grow what I thought was Cherokee Purple which I had been growing for several years. And what I was growing wasn't the real Cherokee Purple. It was a darker tomato like Carbon almost brown, but otherwise identical to Cherokee Purple. I think what I had been growing was Cherokee Chocolate.

Got my seeds from Moscow today delivered by Homeland Security Actually they were in the mailbox, but really cool stamps and all
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote