View Single Post
Old June 12, 2017   #17
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

When I was looking at markets I would call the person running it and ask if they had vendors selling the same things as me. Some did, some didn't. I narrowed it down to 3 then visited them to see prices etc. One was way to cheap, old folks losing money to have someone to talk to. The second was full of heirloom tomato vendors (that I'm almost positive were reselling) and they wouldn't allow another tomato vendor. The 3rd had a couple of tomato vendors but not heirlooms, or very limited heirlooms and none of them knew much about tomatoes.

That ended up being the perfect spot and we are slowly building a customer base. Once we increase production a bit I may try to expand to 2 or 3 markets. So my advice is start small & slow & focus on finding a few good customers then really build that relationship. Word of mouth is always the best way to get more customers and gives you time to learn as you go. The best thing about being a small plot farmer is you can let your customers decide what they want, then provide that in the highest quality you can.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote