View Single Post
Old May 22, 2015   #10
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Fonesca,

Thanks for the response and compliments!

The trellis is currently my main concern as it is only about 4.5' tall, but the middle support post is around 10' tall. If the plants really take off I had originally figured I'd just bring out the ladder and basically build it up higher with more panels and lots of garden twine using the center post for support. Your cattle panel system look great, and the plants look huge and healthy! I don't expect that kind of growth with my setup, but that's a great example to learn from!

After looking at some other, more organised trellis designs, as you described, I am thinking of perhaps using a taller string system with conduit or wood as you suggested, for when the vines outgrow the current system. I like using my drill, so more holes are not a problem I have never supported plants with just vertical string before, I've always woven through and tied them to cattle panels with cloth or twine. The single string method appears popular, but will it support the fruit clusters adequately? I guess most of my varieties are medium-sized tomatoes, no beefsteaks or anything, so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

When I first started, I wasn't sure if the plants would even make it to the top of the current trellis, but based on the largely positive feedback I've received so far, I am thinking I will have add some serious height. I was planning to prune them to 2 vines and keep them as tidy and spaced out as possible as they grow upwards to help with the airflow as others have suggested. Now I am wondering if a single vine is necessary. Of course, I'd like 2 vines and more tomatoes but not if it ruins the garden and causes diseases or fungus. Sun scald from the blazing hot Missouri summers also worries me with single vines though. Hmmm, something to think about.

I appreciate everyone's input, and please share more of your methods if you are willing. I will be using these containers exclusively for the next few years (besides a few pots and "tumbler" baskets), so I'd like to learn as much about you pro's do your container gardens as possible.

I will keep updating this thread as the garden progresses so I can keep a log of sorts and hopefully find the best way to utilize this system in subsequent years, and for others interested in this method. I am also taking lots of pics as the season progresses, so I there will be plenty more posted if anyone is interested. As always, thanks again to all that make this forum possible

Last edited by squirrel789; May 23, 2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typos, typos
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote